|My tooth was knocked out , how soon should I see a dentist?
Immediately. Getting to a dentist within 30 minutes can make the difference between saving and losing a tooth. When a tooth is knocked out:
- Immediately call your dentist for an emergency appointment.
- Handle the tooth by the crown, not the root. Touching the root (the part of the tooth below the gum) can damage cells necessary for bone reattachment.
- Gently rinse the tooth in water to remove dirt. Do not scrub.
- Place the clean tooth in your mouth between the cheek and the gum to keep it moist.
- It is important not to let the tooth dry out.
- It is not possible to store the tooth in the mouth of the injured person, wrap the tooth in a clean cloth or gauze and immerse in milk.